k
Midwestern 4x4 Forums  

Go Back   Midwestern 4x4 Forums > Tech > Build Up Section
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008   #1
JohnnyU

Default 1991 K1500 Build

I'm transforming my 1991 K1500 frm DD into a wheeliing rig/ weekend warrior rig. I DD'ed this truck until last may when I purchased a 2004 Dodge 2500 CTD. I then started gathering parts for the 14ff/D60 swap.

I got the 14FF for free, but then dropped some coin on it rebuilding and adding some bling:

Installed a shackle flip kit from ORD, along with some extended shackles and 2wd leaves (i'm going to have to add another leaf or two, they are much too soft as they are right now)

I removed the mechanical fan and installed a Taurus fan, as well as replumbed the brakes to eliminate the crappy ABS and stock prop valve since I went with rear discs. I still have to remove the stock air cleaner and fabricate up a snorkel....

Then I started stripping down the front end:

Removed the IFS brackets and cross member, welded in some 1.75"x0.125" tube for a new crossmember:

Drilled and tapped steering box:

I'm running a 3-link with track bar. Johnny's at the frame and bushings at the axle:

I brought the HP60 home last night and started dissassembly. I'm going to use the springless kingpin caps/high-steer arms from Parts Mike. I've also got another cover from GLO that will have an integrated Hyd ram mount. That's about as far as i've made it at this point, but I'm shooting for completion around the end of August.

EarthResin4x4
JohnnyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #2
Midwestern4x4
Midwestern4x4.com

Sweet Looking forward to it bud. Maybe the S10 will be done by then ... Not lol... Probley this winter...
Old 07-22-2008   #3
buggy79

Lookin good!!Where do you go wheelin at?I`m near bloomington,hope to get my jeep goin soon if it ever quits f@#%*n raining
buggy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #4
JohnnyU

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy79 View Post
Lookin good!!Where do you go wheelin at?I`m near bloomington,hope to get my jeep goin soon if it ever quits f@#%*n raining
It depends on the type of wheeling. I've got a buddy with some open farm land down by Manito that has a pretty gnarly mud bog, it sticks trucks on 44's.

That's not really my thing, I'd prefer to go out to another buddy's place out by Chillicothe. It's got trails, hills, trees and some mud, but its more midwestern-style trails than mud.

EarthResin4x4
Old 07-22-2008   #5
widmayer123

Sweet!!!
I love the Fulsize Trucks!!
widmayer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #6
abig84

heck i remember that thing from the beggining of CTW days. surprised you still have it
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #7
JohnnyU

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig 84 View Post
heck i remember that thing from the beggining of CTW days. surprised you still have it
Yep, I've still got it, 8 years later! It's lead a pretty rough life too. I plowed commercially with it for 7 years, and the salt has really started to show it's effect in just the last two. I'm not plowing anymore, so the Dodge should be safe for now.... I'll probably end up cutting out the fenders, or just putting on some factory flares to help cover up some of the jagged edges

EarthResin4x4
Old 07-29-2008   #8
JohnnyU

I got a little work done today. I cut all the old brackets off the D60, cleaned up the tubes, removed the stock kingpin cap and steering arm and installed the spring-less cap and high-steer arm from PartsMike. I also started getting the coil bucket welded up and tacked to the frame. In addition to the perpendicular plates, I''m also going to weld a couple plates about 8" forward and behind the bucket, meeting tangentially in the middle, just to spread out the load a bit better. The top will also be plated. I know the coils won't be captured at the top, but since I'm planning to use a limiting strap I don't think it will be a problem.

I've got a fair bit of clean-up work to do still, in addition to fabricating the links and steering still. After everything is tack welded, the axle will come back out for finish welding, then cleaning and paint.

EarthResin4x4
Old 07-31-2008   #9
JohnnyU

I made the passenger side coil bucket mounting plates and welded them to the bucket and then the assembly welded to the frame last night. Still have to burn in the driver side. I'm going to try to pick up tube today since I'm taking the afternoon off. I'll probably work on getting the axle brackets tacked in place Friday. I'd also like to start working on the new transmission cross member.

It''s pretty much a mirror image of the other side:

EarthResin4x4
Old 07-31-2008   #10
widmayer123

Looking Good!!
widmayer123 is offline   Reply With Quote