k
Midwestern 4x4 Forums  

Go Back   Midwestern 4x4 Forums > Tech > Build Up Section
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008   #11
ChrisHolmz

Well I decided to play a little this weekend. I think I had a little too much fun. It now needs a drivers side front axel shaft. I only have one spare for the front which is going in and i'll hit up the junkyard for another set, but I have a question. Anyone run chomoly shafts in a front 44? Is it worth it? The five years i've ran these axels this is only the fifth shaft I have broke so I don't think I want to upgrade, just make the 44 a little more dependable.

Since its broke I decided to do a little work to the front. I want to ditch the bumper, weld on some D-ring tow points and put a new motor on the winch (or get a new one, have made up my mind yet). Here is a before pic and a tear down pic

ChrisHolmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #12
ChrisHolmz

Posting builds on the internet must be a jinx. Ive had shit come up left and right keeping me from getting this damn thing done. Anyone else run into this similar problem?
Old 10-30-2008   #13
ChrisHolmz

Well, I'm finally making progress again. I'm ditchin the front bumper, adding d-ring mounts to the frame and plating off the front of the frame on the jeep. I'll have to hit up the junk yard tomorrow and try to get another set of front shafts.
Old 11-07-2008   #14
ChrisHolmz

Well, I got the good shaft in. Here are some pics of the breakage. This shaft is completely from a 77-79 ford, made back in the day. My breaks always come from the ears breaking off, the u-joint never is damaged.

After doing plenty of research on aftermarket shafts, It appears the best companies for D44 shafts are superior or alloy USA. From what I've heard they warranty their shafts including the ears when they are ran with ctm's. I'm kickin around the idea of using them. I did go two years on junkyard shafts before this break so I think i'll put it off for now.
Old 11-07-2008   #15
ChrisHolmz

The front frame on the jeep is capped off with 1/4" plate and has welded on D-ring mounts made from 1" think mild. I mounted the tow points horizontally to give a much larger area to weld them to the frame. The front plate has holes cut in it and was slid on over top of the tow points.
Old 11-11-2008   #16
ChrisHolmz

Well I finally got the frame welding on the front finished up tonight. Now i just need to get a new winch motor then I can bolt on the winch and the currie antirock. I am getting a motor for an old HS9500i that I have. This rig should be ready for the trail by the end of this month. Hopefully I can get to the badlands before the year is over. Does anyone know if the badlands is doing a toys for tots run this year?
Old 11-30-2008   #17
ChrisHolmz

This weekend I stuck the antirock on the front and did a little high speed wheeling in the rain, sleet, and muck. Running sway bars, ditching some weight, and the better approach/departure angles make the jeep a whole new vehicle. It needs a good set of shocks before taking it to a park though. It was getting dark but heres a couple poser pics before we started wheeling.

Old 12-07-2008   #18
ChrisHolmz

I got out wheelin this weekend. Cold as fuck, but I had a blast. The ground was hard so traction on the climbs was not there. Made a few, slid around, and bounced off a ton of shit. Here are some pics.

The only damaged I suffered was a hit against embankment that tweeked my new fender a little. About 20 minutes with a ballpean straightened it out. Looks like I'll have to make up a little better mount for the top of the front fenders.

Here's my buddy's CJ-5. Stock six with the t-19, d20, amc, and d30. Running 33" boggers and propane.
Old 12-08-2008   #19
ROXROES
GET OVER IT

Looks like fun, hopefully soon we'll have some play shots of the Tahoe. You gonna finish the front of that cage sometime, looks like that would round off the build?
ROXROES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #20
ChrisHolmz

Yeah, I need to get the cage done up, it's just cold as hell now. I already have the tubing, I just need to get my buddy with the CJ to let me in his garage for a weekend. It also needs new shocks and a winch.