Midwestern 4x4 Forums  

Go Back   Midwestern 4x4 Forums > Pictures and Videos > Picture Post
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009   #11
Midwestern4x4
Midwestern4x4.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewchief888 View Post
You couldn't pay me to use wrangler axles. They are junk. No thanks. Find some real axles...

i'm not as hard on my equipment as some people are, i could have put full size axles under it , to me it kinda defeats the purpose of having something small, i can squeeze through three that have a full size rig looking for another way around. when the truck was biult i intended on doing a staright axle swap eventually, i'm on my last IFS axle now, and it's still in one piece. time and money stopped me from doing it before now. this truck, like every other truck ive ever put together, is built on a budget, total build cost, including repairs ive had to make on this truck is about $2000. most of my $$ went into new gauges,pro lites, headers/ throttle body spacer, and a replacement engine & trans. i like to wheel, and found out a long time ago, everything ive ever had has it's limitations. if you try hard enough you can break anything..........
I just have a hard time polishing a turd. I know people breaking wrangler axles with stock wranglers. No way would I spend time and money to put them into anything ...
Old 10-20-2009   #12
crewchief888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern4x4 View Post
I just have a hard time polishing a turd. I know people breaking wrangler axles with stock wranglers. No way would I spend time and money to put them into anything ...
ive broken 2 axles in the last 30 or so years. both of them IFS carriers in this s-10. both caused by my own stupidity the 1st broke the spider gears, and put them through the alumnum diff case. i had a leaking vacuum switch on the xfer case, it only engaged the front axle at 3000 or so RPM. the 2nd did the same thing, broken spiders with the same result, out through the bottom of the diff housing. i got the front end up in the air, when the shift light flashed on at 5500 rpm it was too late to back off. front end came back down ,broke the spiders and snapped a tie rod end.. i know a lot of people that have broken axles, jeep, toyota, and full size. mostly with v-8's and a heavy foot. i too got tired of tearing stuff up all the time, so i put this truck together with that in mind. v-6 auto, and with the stock blazer rear end welded. the POS rear end has held together somehow for 3 years now. only thing that has been replaced in the driveline was 1 front CV shaft, that was making noise when i got the truck, and rear brakes that were worn out when i got it. i still have the original u-joints in both shafts, somehow they havent expoded yet

we can beat this axle issue to death, to each his own i guess
crewchief888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #13
abig84

yeah. only reason i went with fullsized 10 bolts is cause i had them laying around. they are kinda nice for the fact they protect the body and kinda act like training wheels in tippy situations cause they stick out so far.

one of these days im gonna do SFA on a nicer s10 and use it as a daily driver
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #14
ROXROES
GET OVER IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern4x4 View Post
You couldn't pay me to use wrangler axles. They are junk. No thanks. Find some real axles...
Oh they're great, they keep yah busy and give yah something to do all the time!!!
ROXROES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #15
1slow5oh
Snap crackle pop

I know people who have made them live forever..... But I can break axles shafts like there going out of style..or something....Hopefully not with this 60 tho...
1slow5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #16
abig84

Its all in how you drive. I got the same set of 10 bolts. Had them about 9 years and on their 4th truck
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote